Paris. 10 Clichés.
In the collective unconcious, Paris probably has the most stereotyped image among the world’s capitals.
I wanted to play with some of the clichés associated with the city. Here are 10 photographs / clichés of Paris: some follow the established stereotypes; some distance themselves from the latter; some challenge them.
However, this is a hazardous exercise. The photographer always faces the risk of having a stereotype replaced by another one, and that is the last thing I would want to end up with. As I juggle with the clichés, I have no intention whatsoever to provide a definitive answer. For the beauty of photography is opening new perspectives, not closing down on stereotypes, be they old or new.
Thus, every aspect of my work is meant to be questioned: the choice of the subjects I decided to illustrate, the way I have treated them, the messages I try to convey… This series is nothing more than an invitation to stroll and gaze.
Cliché n°1: Paris is a city of symbols

Cliché n°2: Paris is the city of light
Cliché n°3: Paris is the city of love
Cliché n°4: Parisians spend an awful lot of time at the cafés
Cliché n°5: Extraordinary events happen every day in Paris
Cliché n°6: Paris is busy day and night
Cliché n°7: Paris is a city of plenty
Cliché n°8: Paris' periphery can be pretty dull
Cliché n°9: Paris is a window on the world
Cliché n°10: Paris sera toujours Paris